Need inspiration? Watch this: http://youtu.be/g56rZBumt-Q
If you have not yet done so, please read the race instructions on the Winterlude Triathlon web site, www.winterludetriathlon.ca.
If you have not yet done so, have a look at the race courses here: http://goo.gl/maps/uR6cH
We are planning on the race being as described and what you signed up for: skate, ski and run.
Relay teams will now have all male, all female, and a mixed division. Prizes to top team in each category.
Please remember, there are no indoor facilities, so dress warmly before, during and have some dry warm clothes for after the race.
Is there a time limit?
Yes. More specically, participants must start the second lap of the ski course before 75min race time. Those that miss this cut off time will be directed to the ski finish and do only one lap of the ski. They will be allowed to start and complete the entire run course but obviously not quialify for awards. We will leave the directional signs out, but cannot guarantee volunteers will be on cousrse after 2:30 race time.
What kind of skates can I wear?
- Anything you want. In terms of speed, clip-ons, speed skates, hockey skates and figure skates.
What kind of skis can I use?
- Skate or classic. In terms of speed, most of the time, skate skiing is faster, but sometimes, classic. This, of course, depends on your aptitude. If you are not a good skier, neither will make you fast, but one could make you slower.
Is the ski course groomed for skate and classic?
- Yes. The ski course is groomed for both techniques, and we make every effort to keep the skate track wide whenever possible, and to double track the classic when possible. The Arboretum is a snug area to put a ski course, so we use the space we have.
Can I wear spikes or Yaktracks during the run?
- Not track spikes, but Yaktracks or screws in your shoes? Yes.
Can I wear a helmet on the skate?
- Sure, no problem. More than a few people have taken to that approach.
Can I wear headphones or ear buds during the race?
- No, at no time. There is too much going on and everyone needs to pay attention to their surroundings.
What kind of medical support do you have?
- Ottawa University medical students and first aiders will be all over the course.
Ski course warm-up
- Depending on the temperature on Friday night/Saturday morning, there may not be an opportunity to warm-up on the ski. We need to make sure the course firms up and the longer we can wait before skiing on it, the better it will be for all skiers on both loops. You may not like the no warm-up, but you will appreciate a great ski course during the race, on both loops.
Worried what will happen if the weather is bad?
- There are many factors that contribute to bad weather or bad conditions, all of which are considered when making changes to the format.
- If the Rideau Canal is closed and there is no ice, we will cancel the skate and organize either a ski/run/ski or a run/ski.
- If there is no snow but there is ice, we will cancel the ski and organize a skate/run.
- If there is no snow or Canal, we will organize a straight up run.
- There are no refunds for a modified or cancelled event, however, if any of these situations arise, relay teams will be refunded the appropriate amount to offset the relay member not participating.
When will the final decision on race format be made?
- Wednesday before the race. We’ll send out an e-mail to all registered participants, adjust the www.winterludetriathlon.ca website, post on Facebook, and Tweet the information.
- We, like you, need time to prepare and re-organize for any changes to format, so once that decision is made, that decision will be the one you can count on.
- If you do not hear from us, you can assume all is on plan for a skate, ski, and run event. If really unsure, check the website.
What is the commemorative gift this year?
- This year, we are providing a snazzy and comfortable cotton t-shirt.
Can someone else pick up my race kit on Friday?
- Yes, no problem. Remember, kit pick up is Friday, from 5 to 8PM. No need to show up early, and if you can, show up a bit later to avoid the initial rush.
How do I find my stuff during and after the race?
- Label your equipment and keep it organized, labels not provided. Clean it up as soon as you get finished. Double check you have it all before you leave.
- 10 AM sharp, 3 deep in each category, top relay team in each category
If you have any other questions, please read the Race Information page on the Winterlude Triathlon website. If you still have questions, feel free to send them our way.
- Thanks to Bushtukah for their continued support with prizes.
- Thanks to Lazl for the ski poles to the top male and female, as well as some draw prizes.