- No outside assistance is allowed at any point in the race, (unless there is something wrong).
- All participants must run in running shoes. That is to say, you cannot run in your ski boots. We all know how slippery they are on ice and pavement.
- No track spikes allowed. You can wear Yak-Traks or put screws in the soles of your shoes, but not actual track spikes. They have traditionally not been worth it anyway.
- ALL participants MUST run with their skates or boots and blades the entire 5km. You are not allowed to:
- drop them, run to Bronson and back then pick them up on the way back.
- you give them to anyone along the way.
- This is in part due to fairness–not everyone has more than one pair of ski boots, or a supporter to help them.
- The pathway and the transition zones are too small to accommodate supporters standing in the way grabbing or handing off skates.
- The ski course is two laps.
Some helpful hints for 2019
There will be port-o-potties at the start. The washrooms on the Canal at Bronson will also be open early for us. They are 500m away, or about a 2min skate.
There will be a cube van at the start to take your warm clothing back to Mooney’s Bay. Put it in a bag and label it clearly so you can find it easily at the end.
Shuttle buses to the start will begin at 6:30 with the last one going at 7:30. It is very important for you to be set up at Mooney’s Bay on time and catch one of these buses.
Volunteers and supporters are welcome to use the shuttle buses to and from the start (but no guarantee to get to Mooney’s Bay by the time your runner gets there.)
If you plan to get a drive to the start, DO NOT stop on Colonel By Dr. Instead, unload on Library Rd on the Carleton U campus. Riverside north, Hogs Back west, Colonel By northbound, University Ave, Library Rd.
Skating with a helmet has become popular. It is not mandatory but it is something you might consider. If you wear one, though, you will have to bring it to Mooney’s Bay while you run.
A nap-sack is allowed for the run portion.
The skate/run transition will be on the Colonel By Dr side of the Canal.
The first 500m of the run may be on the snowpack on the edge of the Canal, then up the ramp onto the path to Bronson before turning around and running on the path all the way to Hogs Back, Riverside and Mooney’s Bay. If not on the ice, then you will run up the stairs at Hartwell Locks and then run on the path to Bronson.
We will not transport leftover equipment at the skate to run transition zone,so bring only what you need.
We will not be responsible for lost or stolen equipment left behind or anywhere along the way.
The run to ski transition zone will be along the fence at the bottom of the toboggan hill on the inside of the fence, not the outside. Everyone will enter one end and exit at the other end, then put on their skis. It will be fair for all participants
The ski course is two 3km loops.
The finish line will be very obvious on the path adjacent to T2.